Sunday, May 18, 2008

Five more days of gratefulness

Days 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24 - 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18 May

Work picked up again this week, and I've been a little too busy to blog. Or see my family. In fact, today was the first time that I've seen my brother and his family in about a month. This is terribly unusual for us as we normally get together at least once a week for a meal over at our parent's house, and I try to talk to the kids a couple of times a week. But lately, I've been almost too busy to sleep, eat and bathe, and so I have been neglectful of them. But I am always grateful for them. But they each deserve their own day (heck, probably their own week) of me expressing how grateful I am for each of them. Therefore, I will catch up by declaring my gratefulness to each of them - one per day for 4 of the last 5 days.

Day 20 - 14 May

I am grateful for my big brother Steve

It seems that most of my friends didn't (or still don't) get along with their siblings. But my brother and I were unusual in that regard. We always got along. As children, I never recall ever being angry with him over anything, and even as adults, our disagreements have been few and far between. He is almost 9 years older than I was, and I worshipped him for as long as I can remember. He is responsible for my love of history and politics. In fact, if I hadn't started working at Delta, I would have probably followed in his footsteps and become a Social Studies teacher. He is a good guy, and never ever makes me feel guilty for being smarter than him or our parent's favorite. :-)

Day 21 - 15 May

I am grateful for my sister-in-law Carrina

I've often joked that if my brother and sister-in-law ever got divorced, we would all miss him a lot. She really is a wonderful person, a good friend, and I am so thankful that my brother found her. And she was very kind and understanding that time when I accidentally said the "B" word in front of my nephew (when he was 2) and he repeated it every 3 minutes for the next 2 weeks.

Day 22 - 16 May

I am grateful for my nephew Reid

I can not begin to tell you how much I love this kid. He is kind and compassionate, has a great sense of humor and sometimes wise beyond his years. He always seems to know when I need a boost, and will call just to check in on me. We've had some great trips together, bonded over our shared love of The Beatles, and debated politics and other social issues. I can't wait to see what he does with his life. It is bound to be something incredible.

Day 23 - 17 May

I am grateful for my niece Liana

There is nothing that I can say about this one that doesn't sound cheesy (or like Paula Abdul giving some way-out, possibly drug-induced critique on American Idol.) This child is like sunshine. You can not be around her and not come away feeling happy and light. I tell you, she could make Hitler smile (and not just because she has that Nordic blond hair and blue eyes.) She has been a true joy, and I hope that her innate goodness and compassion does not dissipate as she passes through her teenage years.

and finally Day 24 - 18 May

I am grateful that my family never gives me grief or make me feel more guilty than I already do when I'm not able to be see them as much as I would like.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I so love this post!!!!!!