Saturday, May 24, 2008

Day 30 (for real this time)

I thought back to when I first started doing this experiment, just one month ago, and what I was feeling that led me to want to participate in the first place. As I've mentioned (ad nauseum) for the past few months, I've been over worked and sick. Those two things combined have tended to deepen my depression and increase my anxiety, and when that happens, I find myself withdrawing from the world, holing up in my house with the shades pulled down and wallowing in it all. And that makes me feel alone. So when I started this, I was deeply depressed and feeling lonelier than I can recall feeling in many years, and I figured that writing down things that I was grateful for once a day would be cheaper than going back to therapy.

Now that I'm on Day 30, I decided to go back over the last 29 days of gratefulness, in part to prevent any more repeats ala the first draft of Day 29, and in part to see if it helped me at all. And when I did, I began to see a trend. You see, more than half of the gratefuls involved the people in my life - family, friends, neighbors, coworkers. People that I love, and people that I know love me.

Day 30 - 24 May

I am grateful that I am not alone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Never alone. We love you.