Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Day 13

Day 13 - 07 May, 11:51 p.m.

I am grateful for people who honor my father and his many contributions to the Big D.

Probably, next to my mother, my niece and nephew, my brother and sister-in-law and myself, the thing that gives my father the most joy and pride in life is his long association with Delta Air Lines.

Dad started working for Delta in 1953 - the same day that their first merger, with C&S Airlines, was announced. He worked for the company for 42 years, under the leadership of the beloved founder of the company, through every single merger and acquisition. He also created a division that saved the company billions of dollars during his tenure. Since his retirement, he has done more than I can possibly mention in support of the company and its people - he has consulted for those that took over his division, been elected to the office of Vice President for one retiree group, and to the Board of Directors of another. Sometimes it seems like he spends more time working for the company than I do, and I get paid to be there.

And so, it was especially nice that he was invited to be one of only 40 employees and retirees who were flown to Washington, DC this morning to accompany our CEO and President as they testified before a Senate subcommittee reviewing the pending merger. It was a wonderful honor for him, and everyone was so kind to him. There was a flight attendant who took him under her wing, got him cab vouchers and ensured that he didn't have to schlep through the Metro on his bad knees with the rest of the group. And the entire group gave Dad a standing ovation when he was introduced at the luncheon as the person in the group with the longest time with the company.

You know, it isn't too unusual for a child to think that their father is the greatest. But it feels especially nice when other people treat him that way too.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

*sniffle*

That is sooooo awesome. :) Wow. Very cool. And well-earned.