Saturday, April 12, 2008

12 of 12 - April 2008

Hello Boys and Girls. Welcome to my April 2008 12 of 12.

New to 12 of 12? Visit the blog of the creator of the 12 of 12, brilliant Hollywood writer and fellow Southern Chad Darnell, for the details, rules, and links to all of the other 12 of 12ers out there. And leave comments. Lots and lots of comments. We love your comments. :-)

I like it when the 12th falls on a non-work day, because at least there is some potential for something besides my usual "Drive 1/2 mile to work, sit in front of computer for 8 hours split by boring lunch, drive home 1/2 mile, watch TV until I pass out" kind of photos. And today, I actually have plans with my high school best friend Traci, so yay! Someone new for you to see!

9:40 a.m. - Well, I'm not 4 days late, but I am still late. As usual, I overslept and am just now getting into the car to go pick up Traci for our Girl's Day out. She is dropping her kids at her Mom's house and I have to pick her up there at 10:00 a.m., and it takes 30 minutes to get there from here. I'm probably going to be late.


9:42 a.m. - I've driven all of 2 blocks and it has started raining. So, chances of me making up those 10 minutes are going to be slim as people in Atlanta do not know how to drive in the rain.

10:05 a.m. - Arriving at The High Country (the name Traci's pop named their house when they had it built about 23 years ago.) Least I made up some of the time and am not too very late.

10:30 a.m. - Breakfast! Nom, nom, nom. You can tell we live in the south, because we have both grits and Coca-Cola for breakfast.

11:35 a.m. - Let the pedicures begin!

That's Traci. We have been friends since elementary school in the 1970s, all the way through high school at CPHS and college at Clayton Jr. and then Georgia State. She is now a kindergarten teacher who still dots her "I"s with little smiley faces (the kids love that.) In our friendship, Traci is the sweet one, and I am the smart ass one. Thank God I'm not the one teaching kindergarten, else those kids would be a real sarcastic, eye rolling bunch.

2:20 p.m. - and the final results of the pedicures. Traci always thinks that she has Fred Flintstone Toes, but I don't think Fred could have gotten away with that sparkly red toe nail polish. (Barney, maybe.)

2:36 p.m. - That's me and Tray's youngest son Chapman. Love, Love, Love this kid. He is so sweet and funny. He still has a high little kid voice, so sometimes when I call and he answers, I will think it is Traci and I'll go "Hey Dude!" (cause you know, we are in our 40s but we still call each other Dude like we did in high school) and he'll go, "Jojo - it's not Dude, it's me Chappy!"


2:35 p.m. - That is Traci and her Mom Sharon. Most people call her Sam, because that is what her initials spell. I love Traci's parents, they have always been so good to me and treated me as if I were a member of the family. They were practically teenagers when they had her, so they were the youngest parents in the bunch, and they were so much fun to be around. Not because they were trying to be our buddies or letting us get away with anything, they were just great people and didn't seem to mind if we were loud or invited half the neighborhood over. I practically lived on their den sofa when we were in college, as that was where Tray and I would study, do homework and watch MTV (back when they had music videos) until we passed out.

5:37 p.m. - Since I was already down near my parent's house, we decided to have Sunday family lunch at Mom and Dad's as Saturday family dinner instead. Here are my wonderful nephew and niece, hanging out in the breakfast room. They are growing up way too fast.

5:38 p.m. - and my Mom and Dad. (Country Pinks and Blues were the in thing when that house was built, can you tell??)


6:45 p.m. - Finally on the way back home. I have no idea what they are doing here. This is just between the airport exit and my exit. I think they are running the rapid transit from the airport over to the convention center where my old neighborhood use to be, and that they are building the rail for it to cross over the interstate. I swear that none of this was there when I left this morning.

9:55 p.m. - Torchwood Rocks! Love me some Captain Jack. Plus, it looks like Spike (sorry JM - you can play a time agent, police detective, Brainic, or win the Academy Award, but you will always be Spike to me) will be back for the season finale next week. Yay!!
Bonus shots for April.

It wouldn't be April in Georgia without some Dogwood Trees .....

or Azalea's (at Mom's)

So enjoy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

12 of 12 always makes me hungry because everyone always posts pictures of what they eat (including me.)

That breakfast looks SO good!

Lipp said...

Nice '12 Joni, thanks for sharing your family & 'nearly family'.
PS Heres a short thing friend Cam did:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGR6eeB37cw
(I recall you're a fan)

Anonymous said...

Love it! Your 12 of 12s are always so interesting. Wait til you see mine! I totally slacked. This month mine will be called "3 of 12."

Lisa B said...

Lovely photos of your day, it looks like you had a really great time! Beautiful flowers too.

Dogeared said...

Looks like you had a brilliant day with your family and friends! We should all have more days like those. And yay, you did the meme too! I sent it on to a few friends after being tagged myself, I wonder if there's a 6 degrees thing going on? [lol]

(I'm late commenting as I was only back home late on the 14th and so my 12 was delayed too - this week's just been busy!)