Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Joni & Santa: A Retrospective

For nine years, my Mom dutifully dressed me in my finest Christmas wear and took me to see Santa at the Rich's at Greenbriar Mall.

1963 - So, this is where it all began. My first visit as a 3 month old in 1963. I'm clearly making noise and irritating Santa, while my brother Steve is a picture perfect boy scout. This picture pretty much sums up my family dynamic.

1964 - Still making noise and being irritating....

1965 - although, admit it - you'd cry too if Santa was letting everyone see your underpants.

1966 - I can haz a Christmas Tree Candy???

1967 - Dude! He gave me candy again, and I wasn't even good this year!

1968 - Hey, if my brother can dress up like a boy scout, I can be an angelic little choir girl. (The only departure from the Greenbriar tradition - this one was taken at the Downtown Rich's.)

1969 - I think that I'm slowly starting to notice that the beard is a fake.

1970 - Now this Santa sort of creeps me out. I think he's sort of sketchy looking, don't you? But, on a happier note, my aunt Charlsie made that top/dress for me. It was one of my favorites.

1971 - And this Santa just isn't even trying - I mean, his mustache is below his top lip and his belly is pushed up above his belt like man boobs. Come on dude, this isn't a tough gig - just sit in the chair and make sure your fake hair and stomach stays in place.

Just after this one, my stupid, mean classmate Ronnie Powell ruined Christmas forever when he told us all the truth about Santa. I hated that kid.

I hope you enjoyed my trip down memory lane with Santa, and I wish you all a very Merry Christmas.

4 comments:

Katie said...

seeeez - before u can haz candys - no happies - but after candys = HAPPYS!!! I

Anonymous said...

The first baby picture looks just like you - haven't changed one bit!!!

The picture with the top your aunt made you - you and Santa look like hippies!!!

I loved it!!! Thanks for sharing...

pinkcamojeep said...

That's funny - you were the one who told me that Santa wasn't real... probably the same day Ronnie told you. I still remember, we were under the our carport and it was in an afternoon after school. But, I didn't hate you, I just wondered what else my parents had lied about : )

Tony McCarthy said...

The last Santa looks like Jeff Daniels. No wonder he's pissed. Wait til he finds out he will be in Dumb and Dumber.