Saturday, July 12, 2008

12 of 12 - July 12

It's the 12th again, so it is time for the 12 of 12 again. See Chad Darnell's blog for all the rules.

Always glad to have a 12 of 12 fall on a weekend, especially one where I have plans to leave the house. The plan is to go down to the 'decorator district' with my next door neighbor Katie and buy the material for my dining room curtains.

10:23 a.m. - The DOT has been working on the interstate every weekend for the last few months, and they close 3 or 4 the lanes to do the work. So, Katie and I decided to take the one of the back ways to avoid the back up on the highway. Along the way, we passed the Georgia Dome.

10:25 a.m. - Katie doing her best "bringing sexy back" dance while at a red light. She is such a nut - I really enjoy hanging out with her.

11:14 a.m. - Here is the material Katie will be making my curtains out of. It is from the Ralph Lauren collection (swank), but it was in the clearance room, so I could sort of afford it. The colors match my room colors perfectly. The darker red is the color of the dining room walls and the khaki is the color of the living room and the connecting hallway. I can't wait to finally have that room completed.

11:58 a.m. - We next head over to Atlantic Station. This area use to be the old Atlantic Steel Company where my grandfather worked back in the 1950s and 60s. Now, it is a huge mixed use development.

12:02 p.m. - which includes an Ikea (yay!). I can smell the cinnamon rolls from here. It's almost as good as that Krispie Kreme smell. (I said almost.)

12:39 p.m. - Some Ikea light fixtures. I'm sure that they have some wonderful, crazy name like Flarb or Ljorg or something.

12:47 p.m. - Aaahh - a Klimt. The college dorm room staple (well, either that or a Monet.)


1:22 p.m. - Leaving the Ikea, we passed the Atlanta Water Works. Katie is learning how to play this 12 of 12 game, so she slowed down at the top of the little hill so that I could get a clear shot without as many cars in the way.

1:39 p.m. - Back in March, a tornado hit the dowtown Atlanta hotel and business district. The three buildings in the center of this shot (the Peachtree Plaza Hotel, the Georgia Pacific Building, and the Equitable Building) all took a pretty bad hit during the storm and a number of windows were blown out. If you look closely at the Peachtree Plaza, you can see a lot of black squares all down the side where windows were destroyed and still haven't been replaced.

1:55 p.m. - As we got back to Hapeville, we passed by the new Butterfly art installation that the city unveiled last month. There are about 20 of them spread out along our main street and they are really cute. I especially like the Chick-fil-a Butterfly.

2:17 p.m. - On the way home, we stopped for lunch at the Academy Grill. Love their baked sweet potatoes, corn bread and mac and cheese.

9:45 p.m. - My brother got me hooked on this Goodreads website. You basically log all of your books - the ones that you've read, that you are currently reading, that you own but haven't read, etc. You can see what you and your friends have read in common, and also rate and/or review the books you've completed. Here I am rating my cousin Bonnie's books. (I'm not biased - they are all completely worthy of 5 stars!) So far I've added 705 books, and my brother is at 1,288. No matter how many I add, or how fast I add them, he continues to stay at least 500 books ahead of me. And knowing Steve, I may never catch up.

Well, that's it for this month. Hope you enjoyed.

7 comments:

Lisa B said...

Lovely pics of your day, look forward to seeing the finished curtains, the material is beautiful!

Dogeared said...

Oh, I might try Good Reads! Sounds like something my inner geek would like :lol: Have you heard of BookMooch? (www.bookmooch.com) - it's a website where you log the books you want to get rid of, and then when people request to mooch them from you, you pay to post them off. This earns you points, which you then spend mooching books from other people. It's better than a swap, because you don't have to find someone who wants a book you have and who has a book you want - this way, someone mooches from you and you mooch from a third person. I've been doing it for a while now, and found some good books I wouldn't have otherwise encountered or found out about (and gotten rid of some books I no longer wanted too!)

Glad to see your friend's learning about 12 of 12 and helping you get your good photos! Hope everything's well with you, I know you've mentioned recovery in previous 12s - how's things now?

Dogeared said...

Joni, oh Joni, what have you started introducing me to Goodreads. Argh! I've just gone and added the two I'm currently reading, and a bunch of books I've already read (those on two shelves on my nearest bookcase, plus a bunch of Kathy Reichs I have read but are spread around my room/given away). I was adding via ISBN number, but then decided no. I will find the title, click the related editions link (as they default to American prints), and find one that has the cover I read, and is paper/hardback as appropriate. I'll now go and add SOME - note only some, despite the high number you'll see on my booklist, of my unreads. I have a LOT of unread books.

Oh, and I'm Beachcomber on GR!

Linda Judd said...

Now I want to visit Atlanta! Very pretty scenic pictures.

I love your fabric. The colors are terrific. And I'm jealous that you have an Ikea. None here in Albuquerque. I think Phoenix is the closest, and that's NOT close (sigh). Those light fixtures look so interesting. I just may need to plan a trip to Phoenix, after all.

Oh, and thanks for visiting my first 12 of 12.

cheapblueguitar said...

Great photos. I love Katie's "bringing sexy back" dance!

Bonnie said...

Good luck with the curtains. The fabric is lovely!

And thanks for all the five-stars. :) You're the best!!!! :)

Love you, cuz.

pinkcamojeep said...

Klimt ... and Monet. Who know? Those are my two FAV's!! In fact, I saw an awesome leather purse on QVC (I promise, I was just passing through while at M&D's for Thanksgiving .... I don't watch or buy from tv shopping networks) that had a really cool collage on it with a huge zoom on the face from Adele Bloch-Bauer I. It cost $195. and I still thought.... "uhm... that would almost be worth it!!"