Monday, December 31, 2007

The Best of 2007

In spite of some financial struggles, health issues and ending the year still wobbly from knee surgery eight weeks ago, I still had a lot of great things happen in 2007.

In January, I was one of only a couple 100 employees and guests who got to celebrate the lights of the Fly Delta Jets sign being turned back on over the Delta Tech Ops building on the same day our company prevailed over a hostile takeover attempt by another airline.

In February, I went to Savannah with some friends and ate at Paula Deen's restaurant. It was so good - I could feel my arteries hardening with every bite.

In April, my company came out of bankruptcy amidst many celebrations, and I had the opportunity to dine with my parents and our COO at one of the various parties.

In April, I also enjoyed taking my Dad, niece and nephew to Delta night at the Braves game.


May brought me some fabulous new neighbors - one of whom is a kick-ass team trivia partner. We've come in either first or second every time we've played at the local pub. (Although, being the smartest two people among that crowd might not really be too large of a feat.) These guys have been a Godsend - cutting my grass when they finish cuting their own, assembling my new Ikea patio furniture and fixing my a/c when it stopped working on a 100 degree day in August.

In June, my whole family went to Vegas for a week. While there, we flew a small plane to see the Grand Canyon, we hung out at the Flamingo pool until my niece looked like a lobster, and my nephew and I saw the Cirque show Love.

At the beginning of July, I accompanied my father to Knoxville for his little brother's 75th birthday party, where I got to see my cousins Becky and Clay, who I hadn't seen in about 10 years.


August took me to Dallas, where I was the guest of my dear friends Ali, Nathan and Mikey at a Ranger's game - in a luxury suite no less. I also developed some unrequited iPhone envy while there.

In September, I had the privilege of arranging and taking my coworkers on a private tour of the Chick-fil-a headquarters where we met with their CEO and founder, Truitt Cathy.


In October, I had knee surgery. While not a lot of fun, it led to November, which was sort of a Vicodin induced haze. So I could have had fun in November, I'm just not real sure.

In December, I had a wonderful Christmas with my parents, brother, sister-in-law, niece and nephew.

(Reid and Dad)

(Me and Mom)


(Carrina and Steve)

(Bass Guitar Hero Reid and Liana)

However, the best time of the year for me was back in April, when I took my niece and nephew to Edinburgh, Scotland for spring break. I've always dreamed of going to Scotland, and sharing it with the kids made it that much better. Every part of the trip was perfect - from the flight there in BusinessElite


to the hotel featuring a roof top spa and hot tub with a beautiful view of Edinburgh Castle.


We trekked up to the castle (OK - we took a cab, but you still had some climbing to do once you were inside the castle walls) where we were greeted by Robert the Bruce


and we started the long walk up to the higher levels


where we saw the firing of the One O'clock Gun.


The next day, we rode out to the countryside and visited Rosslyn Chapel. If you read the Da Vinci Code, you will recall was featured prominently in the final chapters.



The chapel roof is being repaired, so the outside was covered with scaffolding. We were able to climb up and walk above the chapel, which gave a really interesting perspective.


The carvings inside the chapel were amazing. No pictures can do justice to the beauty and detail.

After that, we headed back into town where we toured the Holyrood Palace where the Queen resides while in Scotland. It was also the home of Mary, Queen of Scots.


There were some amazing gardens (and there's my beautiful niece among the heather.)


and some really cool ruins of the Holyrood Abbey.



After a trip to the Scottish Modern Art Museum, we headed back to the hotel for a swim, and then went out again after dark on a ghost tour of the old city.

My feet were bleeding by the time we were finished with that day, but it was the most fun I've had in years. Until the hotel fire alarm went off and we had to evacuate. Thank God the kids had checked out the evacuation info on the back of the door when we checked in, cause I was clueless of what to do or where to go when the alarm went off. (Aren't I a great aunt?) And of course, I shouldn't complain at all about it anyway - as I wasn't the one in the shower when the alarm went off who had to sit outside in the cold in an over sized spa robe, wet and shivering until we got the all clear to go back in. (That would be my niece - who took it all in stride.)

I have not been blessed as of yet to have any children of my own, but I am blessed in that my brother and his wife are so open to sharing their children with me.
These kids bring so much joy to my life. They are smart, funny, loving and kindhearted. They were the best part of 2007 for me. And the best part of every year since they came along.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks again for taking the little rascals on the trip to Scotland. They really enjoyed it. Noting the haunted castle / ghost stuff. If you ever get a chance read the ghost stories of Russell Kirk.